[emanicslab] Federation with PlanetLab Europe

David Hausheer hausheer at ifi.uzh.ch
Fri Mar 11 07:12:42 CET 2011

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce the federation of the EmanicsLab testbed with
PlanetLab Europe (PLE), and other testbeds in the OneLab facility is now
in place. PlanetLab Europe is the European branch of the global
PlanetLab system.

After a collaboration effort between teams at UPMC and University of
Zurich, full federation was achieved on March 8, 2011. From now on
EmanicsLab users will be able to use PlanetLab tools and resources in
their experiments, and vice versa, increasing the scope of the services
offered by OneLab, and allowing EmanicsLab users access to hundreds of
PLE nodes spread across Europe and elsewhere, while the central
management of EmanicsLab nodes remains under the control of the
EmanicsLab administrator (University of Zurich).

The federation was achieved using the PlanetLab implementation of SFA
(Slice-based Federation Architecture). SFA is an emerging standard for
networking testbed federation, and the PlanetLab implementation of SFA
was developed jointly by OneLab partner INRIA (under the direction of
OneLab Technical Director Thierry Parmentelat) and the University of
Princeton in the USA.

Federation with OneLab is an opportunity for testbed providers to
optimize their facilities. A federated testbed can grow its user numbers
by making its facility available to those already using OneLab testbeds
in Europe and across the world, while the testbed owner has access to an
extensive scientific community and the possibility of scientific gain
through exchanging best practices and comparing results. In addition,
federation can offer the latest in computer networking tools to the
testbed's current users.

We are currently preparing tutorials how EmanicsLab users can make use
of the Federation and we will inform about it soon.

Best regards
David

--
| David Hausheer, Dr. sc. techn. ETH                        |
| Department of Informatics (IFI), University of Zurich     |