[emanicslab] Suspicious Activity on EmanicsLab nodes host1-plb.loria.fr and host2-plb.loria.fr

David Hausheer hausheer at ifi.uzh.ch
Sat Jan 4 23:59:36 CET 2014

Dear Emmanuel, all,

In the meantime, I have done some further analysis of the connections
(see attached file):

- 10% of the flows originate from EmanicsLab PLC and PlanetLab Europe
which can be considered regular behavior (e.g. related to Ganglia, etc.)
- 45% of the remaining flows go to host3-plb.loria.fr and
host4-plb.loria.fr which are NOT EmanicsLab hosts.

Out of the unidentified traffic to host1-plb.loria.fr and
host2-plb.loria.fr:

- 28% of the flows originate from sources that conntect to BOTH
host1-plb.loria.fr and host2-plb.loria.fr, however not to
host3-plb.loria.fr, thus they are probably not scanning attacks
- 65% of the flows go to host1-plb.loria.fr
- 38% of the packets (20% of traffic / 4% of the flows) originates from
the Amazon Cloud, going to host1-plb.loria.fr

In the respective timeframe Dec 17 00:00 - 13:00 CET the only SSH login
on host1-plb.loria.fr was from slice uzh_scraper, however, this may not
mean anything. It is no longer possible to exactly identify the
responsible slice for the traffic since the netflow logs are kept on the
hosts for a limited time only.

Overall, we can conclude:

- More than half of the flows either originate from EmanicsLab PLC or go
to PlanetLab Europe hosts (not EmanicsLab), thus may be considered
"regular" traffic
- The exact slice responsible for the traffic can no longer be
identified, and there is no clear evidence that the traffic was related
to an attack.

@Emmanuel, I propose that you open the two hosts again and that we
closely monitor them over the next few days for any suspicious activity.

Best regards
David

--
| David Hausheer, Dr. sc. techn. ETH                        |
| Department of Informatics (IFI), University of Zurich     |